Recovery FAQ

for Hurricane Ian

Q: What is the Rebuild Florida Housing Repair and Replacement Program for Hurricane Ian, and who is eligible to apply?

  • Rebuild Florida is a partnership of FloridaCommerce and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), which approved funding to local communities for Florida’s long-term recovery efforts after Hurricane Ian.
  • The Rebuild Florida Housing Repair and Replacement Program (HRRP) for Hurricane Ian will address remaining unmet housing recovery needs through the repair, rebuild or replacement of Hurricane Ian damaged homes in twenty designated counties: Brevard, Charlotte, Collier, DeSoto, Flagler, Glades, Hardee, Hendry, Highlands, Hillsborough, Lake, Manatee, Monroe, Okeechobee, Osceola, Pinellas, Polk, Putnam, Seminole, and St. Johns County.
  • Priority funding will be provided to the most vulnerable populations, including the elderly, those with disabilities, families with children under the age of 18, and families with low household incomes. For more information on Program eligibility, please see the below section “Housing Repair and Replacement Program Eligibility.”
  • The Rebuild Florida program offers reconstruction, manufactured housing unit replacement, or rehabilitation for homes damaged by Hurricane Ian. To be eligible to apply, you must have owned the home when Hurricane Ian made landfall on September 28, 2022, and the damaged property must have been your primary residence, you must still own the home, and you must provide all necessary documents to complete an eligibility review and award determination. Rental property owners may apply as well but single-family homeowners will be prioritized. More information can be found on the program website, by visiting a Rebuild Florida intake center, or by calling the Rebuild Florida program line.

Q: What services will the Rebuild Florida Housing Repair and Replacement Program for Hurricane Ian provide?

  • The Rebuild Florida Repair and Replacement Program for Hurricane Ian will manage and complete construction on behalf of eligible and awarded homeowners. Homeowners may not select their contractors and will not contract directly with their selected builders. No payments will be made to the property owner directly. The program will offer repairs, stick-built reconstruction, and manufactured home replacement.

    Q: If I rented my home at the time of Hurricane Ian, but purchased the home after the storm, and it has storm damages, can I apply?

    • Unfortunately, you are not eligible for this program, but you can visit the Florida Resource Directory to find additional resources.

    Q: Can this program help me purchase a new home or help with rent if I lost my home due to Hurricane Ian?

    • Unfortunately, this Program cannot support the purchase of a new home or subsidize rent payments, but you can visit the Florida Resource Directory where you may find additional resources.

    Q: Can you tell me what the income limit is for my family?

    • The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) provides guidance on household income limits that are unique to household size and geographic area. In short, household income is calculated by adding the combined income of all adult residents that reside in the household. We encourage you to visit the HUD website to review the income limit information based on your household size and county or reach out to the program for more information.

    Q: Is Rebuild Florida assistance a loan or a grant?

    • This Program provides grant funding. However, eligible homeowners who are awarded are expected to remain in the house for 3 years, and as part of the grant agreement will sign a 3-year unsecured, forgivable promissory note. If the house is sold or used as collateral prior to the 3-year anniversary, a prorated amount may be due back to the State.

    Q: Will my information provided over the phone be stored in a secure location?

    • The Program takes the security of personal information very seriously and has controls in place to safeguard your personal information.

    Q: I was asked for copies of my personal information.  What format should I provide?

    • The Program can accept your information in the way that works best for you, such as physical copies or electronic copies.

      Q: If I have questions for a Rebuild Florida case manager, how can I contact them?

      • Rebuild Florida Customer Service Center staff can connect you with a case manager, and if you have already been assigned a case manager, the call center staff can look up the information and connect you. If you don’t remember the name or phone number of your case manager you can always call the Rebuild Florida Customer Service Center toll free 1-800-915-6803 and you will be assisted by one of our available case managers.

      Q: If I have health related or mobility concerns and cannot attend in person, can I mail my information?

      • You may mail or email your information to the appropriate point of contact or intake center of your choosing. Click here for a listing of the Rebuild Florida Center Locations for Hurricane Ian recovery.

      Q: I have a disability and do not have access to transportation or a computer to complete the application. Can you assist me with applying?

      • If you have mobility issues that prevent you from utilizing the methods previously mentioned, please notify your case manager and we can coordinate appropriately.

      Q: After notification that my home will be repaired or reconstructed, how long can I expect to be out of my home?

      • Everyone will have a unique situation as all property circumstances and scopes of work are unique. For example, one homeowner may require complete demolition and site preparation, while another homeowner may just need some roof repairs. So, the timelines will vary depending on the scope of the project.

      Q: Will you help me find somewhere to live while my home is repaired/reconstructed?

      • Homeowners are expected to secure temporary living arrangements while construction is underway at their property, if the scope of work requires temporary relocation. For example, homeowners may stay with friends and family while construction is underway or may elect to find a short-term rental if they desire but would be responsible for the cost. In certain circumstances where extreme hardship may be demonstrated and documented, temporary relocation may be offered on a limited case-by-case basis in accordance with the program guidelines.

      Q: Will you help me move my furniture and belongings out of my home?

      • Moving and storage assistance may be offered on an extremely limited basis in accordance with the program guidelines.

      Q: Will my property taxes increase if you build me a new home?

      • Your property taxes will most likely increase; however, your electricity and energy bills may decrease due to the use of energy efficient construction materials.

      Q: I own my home, but I do not own the land it sits on. Is that ok?

      • Applicants in this situation are encouraged to apply. Because of the complexity of the situation, each case must be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

      Q: Where can I obtain a copy of my deed/ownership documents if they were damaged in the disaster?

      • Your deed should be on file at your County Courthouse; however, our team works to gather ownership records from the State to minimize the number of documents you are required to provide. We will let you know what type of documents are required for your case.

      Q: I do not receive income of any kind. Can I still apply?

      • Income is calculated based on combined household income. If anyone in your home (18 and over) earns income, we must collect documentation. We must also collect documentation for unearned income (from all household members). If a homeowner has no income but receives cash on a regular basis from a friend or family member, this may be considered as income and should be documented.

      Q: I received assistance from FEMA, and I did not use it on repairing my home. Can I still apply?

      • Each application will be reviewed to determine if previous assistance awarded to the applicant was used as intended, and if any funds were received for the same purpose. Your application must demonstrate that a “duplication of benefits” would not occur based on the assistance you are qualified to receive, and this is determined on a case-by-case basis.
      • Our case managers will help you in reviewing your unique situation, and if there is a gap in funding created by a duplication of benefits from a Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) grant or other Federal or private source that was not used for repairs, there is still a possibility of eligibility if the gap in funding is able to be fulfilled through other means, such as a homeowner providing their own funding, or a potential reduction in the scope of work.

      Q: My current home is 5BR/5BA. Will the Rebuild Florida Housing Repair and Replacement Program build me a home that is the same size?

      • HRRP will provide applicants who qualify for a reconstruction award with standard program floorplan homes. The HRRP offers 2-,3-, and 4-bedroom homes; all standard floorplans include 2 bathrooms. The floorplan and number of bedrooms received is based on the number of bedrooms present at the existing damaged property.

      Q: I am disabled and in a wheelchair. Can you accommodate my disability when you build my new home?

      • Yes! During the application and eligibility process will work with all homeowners with unique circumstances to understand special needs such as disabilities or mobility or sensory impairments. Program homes are constructed in complIance with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) standards, when a homeowner completes required documentation in this regard.

      Q: I receive SNAP benefits/food stamps. Will that hurt my application?

      • Being a recipient of public assistance does not weaken your opportunity of receiving assistance. If you are a recipient of Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), your monthly benefit will be calculated as income.

      Q: I did not file an income tax return this prior year, due to not working. Is there anything else I can submit in lieu of that?

      • If you are currently employed, you may submit your last three months of pay stubs or a signed statement from your employer. For a list of all acceptable documents of income, please review the “Rebuild Florida” application document checklist.

      Q: I do not currently have a job, but I may have one soon. Will I need to submit anything?

      • Applications should be made based on current, verifiable information. Please make your Rebuild Florida case manager aware of any changes from what you reported on your application.

      Q: You are requesting a lot of personal and sensitive information. How do I know my information is safe?

      • The Program adheres to all federally/locally required safeguard protocols with electronic information technology systems and data management, and Program staff is thoroughly trained in the handling of private data. Your privacy is of utmost importance.

      Q: I received an ineligible determination letter. Can you tell me why?

      • The contact information for your assigned case manager should be included on the letter. Your case manager will be able to provide you with the most detail about the determination of ineligibility.

      Q: Will you pay off my mortgage when I am approved to get a home?

      • If you have a mortgage on your home, the lien will be transferred to the new property. We will work to coordinate and ensure the rehabilitation or reconstruction is approved by your lender.

      Q: I own several other homes and lots. Am I still eligible?

      • The home you are requesting assistance with must currently be your principal residence and must have been your principal residence at the time that Hurricane Ian made landfall (September 28, 2022). Vacation and second homes are ineligible.

      Q: Do you provide translation services?

      • Yes, translation and interpretation services will be provided as needed or requested. We have program staff at each of our recovery intake centers that are fluent in Spanish, and translators for additional languages can also be made available to applicants with limited English proficiency upon request.

      Q: Can you put me on your mailing list?

      • You can call our call center 1-800-915-6803 and you will be assisted by program staff, or you can visit our website:

      Q: Will I be required to maintain homeowners, flood and/or windstorm insurance?

      • If you are in a flood hazard area you will be required to maintain flood insurance coverage in perpetuity. The program may pay for the first-year insurance coverages as appropriate and upon request. While homeowners insurance for individuals not located in a flood hazard area is not a requirement, not securing insurance may impact your ability to be served in future CDBG-DR programs.

      Q: Will there be a 20-year lien on my home?

      • The FloridaCommerce “Rebuild Florida” Housing Repair and Replacement Program for Hurricane Ian will not require a 20-year lien, however, the program does place a 3 year lien on the home.

      Q: Do I need to pay anything to participate in the program?

      • There is no program application fee or participation fee, and the homeowner is not required to pay anything to participate. However, the homeowner may be responsible to cover some of their own costs depending on their unique situation. If the repair or reconstruction activity requires a temporary relocation, the homeowner is responsible to make living arrangements during construction and move and store all possessions. A mobile storage unit will be provided as part of repair or reconstruction activities requiring removal of household contents. If a homeowner needs to relocate temporarily, homeowners are expected to secure temporary living arrangements while construction is underway at their property. For example, homeowners may stay with friends and family while construction is underway or may elect to find a short-term rental if they desire but would be responsible for the cost. In certain circumstances where extreme hardship may be demonstrated and documented, temporary relocation may be offered on a limited case-by-case basis in accordance with the program guidelines.
      • In addition, following completion of construction, program participants are responsible for paying the increase in property taxes and obtaining all necessary insurance after the home is complete. One year of insurance may be paid for with program funds in certain circumstances. In some cases, where a duplication of benefits funding gap exists, a homeowner may be requested to fulfill the gap in funding as well to satisfy the deficiency – this means the homeowner could need to come up with the money in order to move forward.

      Q: Can you help me understand the length of the process?

      • The application process requires the collection and verification of several documents. This process can take several rounds of communication between case manager and homeowners. You may always check the status of your application by calling your case manager.
      • Once the application has been approved, we must coordinate efforts between the State, the Contractor, the Homeowner and any other necessary parties. Sometimes this coordination of efforts can seem slow, but please understand that we will do our best to provide honest and reliable communication throughout the process. You are always welcomed to reach out to your assigned case manager should you have any concerns.
      • Though we strive to deliver homes on time, construction can be delayed by factors outside of our control, such as weather. If your home is not expected to meet the established timeline for any reason, your case manager will be in regular contact with you and the builder.

      Q: What can the Rebuild Florida Housing Repair and Replacement Program do for FloridIans who live in mobile homes?

      • Mobile Homes may be eligible for replacement, or stick-built reconstructions in instances where the applicant also owns the land the mobile home sits on. Mobile Homes will not be eligible for repairs. Replacement mobile homes or stickbuilt reconstructions provided will meet applicable Green Building Standards and local zoning and code requirements.